Python XY on Ubuntu & Derivates
Pythonxy-linux is the linux side of Pythonxy for Windows , a free scientific and engineering development software for numerical computations, data analysis and data visualization based on Python programming language, Qt graphical user interfaces and Spyder interactive scientific development environment.
The Ubuntu-based distributions were chosen first, due to
- its wide installation base
- the available infrastructure
Other distributions are welcome to join.
The objectives of Pythonxy-linux are to
- provide up-to date versions of the most commonly used packages
- Many packages develop faster than the Ubuntu/Linuxmint release cycles
- Packages in the distribution's repositories are quickly outdated
- Solution: import to Launchpad and re-package into a PPA once the upstream source changes.
- Add new packages to the repositories
- the stack of Scipy/Pydata packages grows at fast pace
- so within a short time new libraries are added to the basic toolset of the scientific programmer
- Solution: import upstream code and create new packages
- replicate the successful 1-stop-shop experience established by Pythonxy for Windows
- Quick download and install the needed packages for scientifc programming
- Solution: creation of suitable meta-packages [future]
The priorities are reflected in the above mentioned objectives. No further outlook can be given because these goals already pose a high workload.